The Lord-Lieutenant maintains contact with:
- The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment, the county regiment;
- Army Training Regiments at Pirbright;
- Units stationed in Mytchett;
- Other military organisations in Surrey.
He chairs the Surrey Military Appeals Committee and attends the Surrey Civilian Military Partnership Board.
The Lieutenancy is also very supportive of service charities, including:
- The Royal British Legion;
- Combat Stress in Leatherhead;
- SSAFA Forces Help;
- ABF – The Soldiers’ Charity.
The South East Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association (SERFCA), based in Aldershot, co-ordinates the infrastructure support of the Reserve Forces and the Cadets. The SERFCA website (www.serfca.org) provides a comprehensive view of all Reserve and Cadets units and detachments in Surrey, with links to individual websites.
Military support at county events
Invitations for military support at events in the county by the Reserve Forces, Regulars or Cadets should be made through the 11th Infantry Brigade and Headquarters South East, which is always keen to support county occasions where possible. Sometimes demand is high, for example on Armed Forces Day, and it is not always possible to meet all requests. If you require help, please contact the Deputy Clerk to the Lieutenancy for information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Active engagement countywide
There is a considerable armed forces presence in the county, receiving support from the Surrey Lieutenancy:
- Regular units are located in Camberley, Frimley, Pirbright and Mytchett;
- Army Reserve Centres (ARC) in Farnham (PWRR), Redhill (PWRR), Reigate (579 Field Squadron RE) and
Camberley (AMS Band);
- Surrey Sea Cadet (SSC) – currently eight units (www.sea-cadets.org);
- Surrey Army Cadet Force (ACF) – currently 25 detachments (armycadets.com/county/surrey);
- Surrey Wing Air Training Corps (ATC)- currently 11 detachments (www.surreywing.org);
- Combined Cadet Forces (CCF) – currently seven contingents within Surrey schools.